Connellsville Township Volunteer Fire Department      Station 7
Connellsville Township VFD

905 Fireman Street
Connellsville, PA 15425

724-628-3490
724-628-3347 - fax

station7ctvfd@yahoo.com
meeting Administrative Officers were elected, by-laws were voted on and
adopted and plans were made to apply to the Commonwealth for a Charter.  
dues, raise the necessary funds to apply for the Charter and determined that
the Charter would be closed on March 24, 1940.
In October 1940, CTVFD received their Charter from the Commonwealth
and had it recorded at the courthouse in Uniontown.  In December 1940 the
first annual election of officers was held and the business of the department
moved along. A used Packard Sedan was purchased from Frank Gallo and
used as a squad truck.  The original Studabaker became unreliable, and
discussions began with representatives of American LaFrance to purchase a
replacement.  In May 1941 the department looked into purchasing a 1923
American LaFrance pumper from Mr. Herbert D. Porter of Pittsburgh.  The
pumper was originally purchased new from American LaFrance by the
Ligonier Volunteer Fire Department.  The pumper was a right hand drive
(the driver sat on the right side of the truck), had a 750 gpm Rotary
gear pump made of solid brass, a 300 gallon tank, a chain drive and solid
rubbertires on the rear wheels.  The pumper was purchased by CTVFD for
$900.00.  

In June 1941 the members decided to purchase property in Connellsville
Township to build a permanent home for CTFVD.   Three lots on Rodgers
Avenue in the Hillcrest section of Connellsville Township were purchased.  
Although they had the property, it would be several years before any further
action was taken to build a new station.  The City of Connellsville granted
the department a permit and a garage was built at the Sligo Office to house
the fire truck and squad.  In September of this year the members of
Connellsville Township Volunteer Fire Department fought its
first major fire by assisting the City of Connellsville Fire Department at
Dulls Warehouse on McCormick Avenue.

Throughout the war years progress for the department was very slow.  In
April 1946 Mrs. DeMire contacted the fire department and offered to trade
four lots of property she owned for the property owned by the fire
department.  Mrs. DeMire planned to open a night club and wanted to be
facing Rodgers Avenue and not on a side street.  After debate and
consideration the trade was agreed to and Mrs. DeMire was given
the lots on Rodgers Avenue (the present day Sons of Italy) and the fire
department received the property on the west side of what was then known
as North 12th Street.  North 12th Street was later renamed to Fireman's
Street.  Work on the new station, however, would not begin until February
1953.

Over the years, the 1923 American LaFrance became worn out and the
department was looking into replacing it.  In September 1947 the department
purchased a Dodge chassis and cab with a power take off for $2000.00.  Once
delivered, the 1923 LaFrance was taken out of service and the new LaFance
was fitted with a the pump and redesigned hose bed.  The new truck was
painted white and lettered.    The color white has been the standard for all
department vehicles from that timeforward.  However, there are records
which show that the actual approved vehicle color is supposed to be Robin Egg
Blue.  It has never been discovered who or why
this color change was made.    

Throughout the ensuing years growth continued for the Connellsville
Township Volunteer Fire Department.  Additional apparatus was purchased,
the new station was completed, membership grew and the department
prospered.  In January 1956 the Fayette County Firemen's Association began
a program to outfit the fire
departments throughout Fayette County with two-way radios and a Control
Center.  The department purchased a base radio and three mobile radios in
late 1956.  It was not until March of 1957, however, until the equipment went
on the air along with the other companies in Fayette County.

The members of Connellsville Township Volunteer Fire Department
continued their efforts to grow and become a better department.  The
foundations laid by these predecessors are the foundations which we follow
still today.  The foundation of commitment to the people of the communities
we serve... The foundation of protecting life and property... The foundation of
service to others before ourselves.


Prepared with excerpts from history written by Fred R. Gustafson
"We Serve Because We Care"
1940 to 2009
DEPARTMENT HISTORY
FOR EMERGENCY
DIAL  911